SFW Develops Surrey Police Citizen Engagement Platform
02 September 2014
SFW has developed a secure ‘Citizen Engagement Platform’ for Surrey Police as part of its e-Business Programme
Working alongside the wider national e-Commerce programme, this will give citizens the opportunity to interact with the Police in non-emergency situations online, quickly, and at their own convenience.
The e-Business Programme is being delivered in phases, so new applications and improvements can be launched as soon as they are ready. Development of Phase 1 is now complete, with initial pilots and launch to follow shortly. The delivery of this initial phase creates a secure platform running a combination of new services, and enhancements to existing services including:
- Migration of the existing Online Crime Reporting application
- Creation of an Online Diary service so citizens can add information to an existing reported crime quickly and easily, without repeating existing information
- Creation of an Officer Booking application allowing members of the public to book, by invitation, appointments with an officer - and change them - online.
The e-Business programme aims to improve Citizen Engagement in line with the Government’s Digital by Default approach – supplementing traditional channels such as telephone and paper with 24/7 citizen-focused digital services delivered through a variety of devices, including mobile, on a robust, supportable platform. The new services will help members of the public communicate with Surrey Police more easily and will reduce the effort involved in reporting and updating incidents. The online services will be available via mobile and desktop devices, making them easily accessible.
Surrey Police, working in conjunction with Sussex Police, have now secured Innovation Funding from the Home Office to further develop the e-Business programme. Phase 2 development is already underway and will include the following:
- Development of a Community Engagement System (Phase 1) – a new tool for the Surrey Public which will deliver a two-way communication channel to expand Community Engagement activities
- Creation of a Customer Account Portal to provide a dedicated are with access to relevant services
- Community Speed Watch and Allegations of Bad Driving reporting and management tools
- Integration of Status update information between internal (Niche) and external systems
- Digital Evidence Submission
- Integration with a public sector-wide authentication mechanism (Government Gateway).
SFW’s integrated service-oriented architecture solution enables secure communication between Surrey Police’s IL3 network and an externally hosted environment running publicly accessible web-based applications. The solution uses Microsoft technologies including ASP.NET, MVC4, WCF, SQL Server and WIF.
Commenting the Phase 1 delivery for Surrey Police, SFW Director Peter Hornsby said, “Many public sector organisations are already exploring new ways to make services more efficient and responsive to the needs of local people. Increasingly, digital citizen engagement is becoming the guiding principle in the future development and provision of services as organisations seek to maximise efficiencies, reduce operational costs and improve the quality and speed of the services they provide. SFW, as an Agile SME with a deep and broad knowledge of the public sector, is able deliver on the speed, quality and cost effectiveness needed to help public sector organisations deliver value, digitally.”
About Surrey Police
Our vision is to 'deliver safe, satisfied and confident communities and relentlessly pursue those people that undermine them.'
Our strategy is to put the Surrey Public First by:
- Keeping people safe from harm
- Giving them confidence that we will be there when they need us
- Relentlessly pursuing criminals.
SFW is a British SME that delivers Agile Software Application Services to Public and Private sector organisations – helping them transform their services into digital applications, streamline processes, increase efficiency and reduce costs.
SFW’s services span the IT lifecycle and beyond, including Advisory, Agile Delivery, Application Management and Secure Hosting. Its approach is underpinned by disciplined development and management methodologies, ITIL-compliant service management and a commitment to quality, the environment and security (ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and ISO 27001 accredited). This ensures SFW delivers service excellence, consistently and securely, to its clients.
Since inception in 1992, SFW has gained an enviable reputation for helping clients reduce cost, add value and attain real benefits, faster and better. With over 15 years’ successful delivery to the public sector, SFW's quality of performance and desire to provide innovative and useful applications make it the preferred and trusted, long term technology partner for many UK and pan-European government agencies.
For more information about SFW, its products, services and solutions, please visit www.sfwltd.co.uk
For any press-related queries contact Catriona Anderson, email@example.com or call 01483 722219